Posted on April 4, 2016
Client: England Golf
Objective: Get Into Golf Monitoring & Evaluation
Get Into Golf is one of the vehicles designed to deliver part of England Golf’s strategic plan – Raising Our Game – specifically that of increasing the number of golfers and members.
The campaign, a national initiative aimed at inspiring adults to take up golf and play golf more frequently, is delivered throughout England by golf clubs and through PGA Professionals.
SPORTS MARKETING SURVEYS INC. was appointed by England Golf to develop a research study aimed to monitor the success of the Get Into Golf programmes and provide insight into the individuals who participated in any of the sessions run. In addition, SMS INC. were tasked to explore the motivations and perception of golf amongst other key target groups such as female golfers, lapsed golfers and those not affiliated to a golf club – “independent golfers”.
SMS INC. devised multiple projects, both quantitative and qualitative, to address England Golf’s insight objectives including:
- An online longitudinal participant monitor
- Surveys sent to Get Into Golf participants immediately after their sessions and then at 6 monthly intervals to assess their future engagement with golf
- Focus groups amongst Female Golfers and Females who play other sports
- What does golf need to do to encourage more women to participate in the sport?
- In-depth telephone interviews with High Performing Clubs
- Are these clubs doing anything different to improve retention and recruitment of members?
- Is there anything that other clubs can learn?
Richard Flint, England Golf Participation & Club Support Director commented:
“It is really important for England Golf to understand the impact locally of the Get into golf campaign so that it can be continually improved and refined based on the needs and wants of the customer. Commissioning SMC INC. to develop and implement the research study gives us the confidence that the insight will be robust and relevant.”Back to results